Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lizzards and Snakes

Just another love and logic Luke story:

We're at the dollar store trying to pick out a valentines present for Aunt Cara. Luke picks out a couple of things for Cara and then does the typical kid thing and starts whining for a bag of lizzards and a bag of snakes. He puts them in the cart, he whines, but finally I try some of love and logic.

Me-Luke you're welcome to buy those with your money.
Luke-I think I will do that mommy.
Me- Luke do you have some money?
Luke-I do have some money.
Me- Well you'll just have to check out after me.

I know that he has no money, but I decide to let him figure that out. I check out, push the cart quite a distance away from the check out line, but stay in earshot. I hear the beeps of the scanner and then the lady asks him for $3.25. He reaches into his pocket and holds up a palm full of nothing. The lady looks confused and looks off at me. I shrug and shake my head. She asks him if that is pretend money. He looks embararasssed and shakes his head, yes. She explains that the store doesn't take pretend money and that he has to give her real money if he wants to take the toys.

The whole way home he was just talking to himself and processing everything. "Stores need real money." "Pretend money will not buy the toys."

I have no idea if this will translate to fewer fits, but that day it did and I got a kick out of seeing him figure out the world for himself.

3 comments:

Lori said...

aawwwww I love your L&L stories!!

Nicole said...

Aw, poor Luke! ;)

Darling Daughters said...

that is awesome! i love the processing, too.